Welcome to Year 1
Meet the team:
Miss Hayes – Class Teacher
Mrs Romagnoli– Learning Support Assistant
Miss Nieroba – Learning Support Assistant
Mrs Welsh– Learning Support Assistant
Miss Marks– Learning Support Assistant
Our Spring Term theme is ‘Courage’ where we will discover what it means to be brave and being able to have a go at things, even though they may seem scary! We will explore the life and work of Amelia Earhart and The Wright brothers, while considering their significant contribution to the world we live in today. We will study similarities and differences between an array of animals and as well as sculpting with clay.
Our curriculum will be inspired by our Spring Bookshelf filled with exciting, high-quality texts.
Spring Learning at a glance
Addition and Subtraction within 20; Place value within 50
Length and height; weight and volume
Writing – 3 part stories, character description, recount and non-chronological reports
Reading – decoding skills, text type features and retrieving information from a text
Phonics –We are continuing to learn new digraphs as well as alternative representations of known digraphs.
Animals including humans; senses, physical features, animal babies, food
Significant people in living memory: Amelia Earhart; The Wright Brothers
Identifying the four countries of the United Kingdom and their capital cities; comparing countries the countryside with the city.
Programming by moving a robot. The children will use floor robots to explore commands.
- PE kits should be kept in school throughout the term. We have PE twice a week.
- Reading books will be changed weekly on a Friday. We read in class daily so please ensure your child brings their book and reading record to school everyday.
- Home Learning will be shared on a Friday and should be returned to school on a Friday.
- Library Book changing days:
Monday: CitiusTuesday: MagnusWednesday: AltiusThursday: Fortius
- Teachers will be available every day before and after school ready to talk about any concerns, receive messages and celebrate successes.
We have a Year 1 Twitter account @WoodfordYr1. Please follow us to share in the exciting learning experiences your children are enjoying.