Welcome to Reception
Meet the team:
Mrs Stevenson – Class Teacher
Mrs Rigg – Learning Support Assistant
Mrs Booth – Learning Support Assistant
Miss Valenta – Learning Support Assistant
As we enter our second term, we continue to strive to provide a unique, challenging and inspirational curriculum based on new and memorable experiences. Having got to know your child, we will continue to understand their individual needs and support them in their learning and development as this remains our priority for every child.
Our Spring Term theme is ‘Hope’ and our learning will be inspired by our Spring Term Bookshelf. Our wonderful high-quality texts help us celebrate our individuality and spark our imagination. We will be exploring the theme across a range of areas within the Early Years Foundation Stage and our learning will be underpinned by a variety of learning opportunities.
Spring Learning at a glance
Reading and Comprehension
Developing fluency with blending through individual, choral, partner and echo reading.
Spell words by identifying the sounds and then writing the sound with letter/s.
Writing for different purposes
Developing storytelling and writing using Tales Toolkit
Subitising, composition and representation of numbers to 10.
One more, one less to 10.
Time, capacity, weight, height and length.
Understanding the World
Focussed observation of Winter and Spring
Exploring the natural world
Celebration of similarities and differences in our local community
Understanding festivals and special times celebrated
Compare and contrast life in the past
Dream Big: Doing our best, Teamwork, Overcoming obstacles, Jobs
Healthy Body, Healthy Mind: Calming down, How can I keep safe outside? Eat the Rainbow, Keeping clean – body and teeth, Dealing with dilemmas – getting lost
Expressive Arts and Design
Gustav Klimt’s Tree – pattern and exploring colour
Developing skills with different tools and artistic effects
- PE will take place every Monday although this may be subject to change so, please ensure your child always has their PE kit in school.
- Your book bag containing your reading books and reading log should be bought to school each day. We remove the Reading record and book each Thursday. Then return the record with a comment and issue a new book and any new red words on a Friday.
- Their library book days are: Monday – Citius, Tuesday – Magnus, Wednesday – Altius, Friday – Fortius. Please ensure their library book is in their book bag to be changed on their house team’s day.
- We would encourage you to read with your child every day to develop their love for reading.
- Mrs Stevenson will be available every day before and after school to talk about any concerns, receive messages and celebrate successes
We will regularly be posting insights into the classroom on our class X (formally known as Twitter) account. Please follow @WoodfordRec to see how we are growing in Reception!